The mountains are calling and I must go - John Muir

The mountains are calling and I must go - John Muir

Sunday, May 18, 2014

Happy Happy Happy

Over these past couple of years in the mountains I have come to the realization that it is in this place where I truly am happy. Peaking hills, cold streams, and small towns is just what seems to click for me. I have realized that not only is it this place that makes me happy, but it is the passion that so many others in this area just like me are chasing. Not fishing to put a smile on our own faces, but fishing to put a smile on the faces of others. Teaching new techniques and showing just an acre of a whole other world to someone who doesn't know anything about it. The outdoors have always been a therapeutic escape for me, and now I am getting to share that with others. It is no longer the joy I receive from catching a big fish or having a high number fish day that does it for me, it's taking someone who has no idea, teaching them a few basic skills, and watching their face light up with every fish they catch. Although this lifestyle unfortunately may not last forever, it is what truly makes me happy and what I feel I would be happy doing forever. At times it can be stressful, aggravating, or just plain tiring, but the joy of others quickly outweighs all of those things. Some may look at it as a job, I look at it as a sharing of knowledge, a continuance of education, and another person who was led to the joy of what the outdoors has to offer. The smiles you see when someone lands their first trout, has their first strike, or just simply learns something new, is like no other. I spend these hours behind my vise, fishing new places, and researching, not only for my own satisfaction but for the satisfaction that others may have from the work I put into these preparations. Some may laugh and say "that's not really work" but I can assure you that myself and others just like me work hard to ensure that people have the best time possible on the water. It is this satisfaction of others that drives me to stay up an extra hour to prepare for trips, tie new flies, or maybe research a little more about certain streams. It is these smiles that have led me to find a true satisfaction in my own life. The truth is that the mountains is where I long to be. Even though I may have to leave this place soon, I will always be satisfied knowing that even though it may have been for a short period of time, I was able to share the beauty and the knowledge of such a wonderful place, and the wildlife that swims through it, with others.




No comments:

Post a Comment