The mountains are calling and I must go - John Muir

The mountains are calling and I must go - John Muir

Sunday, December 8, 2013

Streamers, Streamers, Streamers

Its day 2, going on 3, of blown out rivers and streams due to the rain that is currently making my life miserable.  I'M READY TO FISH AND BE ABLE TO TELL YOU ABOUT IT...It is easy for me to say that of all the different types of fishing out there, streamer fishing is by far my favorite. I could always go out and tie on a dry-dropper or a double nymph rig, fish the main runs, and pull out the numbers that most people desire or dream of, but that's not me. Don't get me wrong, I love to go out and catch the numbers, but what I'm after is the one trout that the "numbers" fear. I want the fish that others are afraid to be around! Yes, its capable to catch that fish on nymphs, but to me it is no where near as fun or exciting. Streamers imitate the bait, and like that bait, they get chased down and munched on! One of my favorite things about streamers is that you can pick apart the water with your casts. You can fish the banks, the main runs, you can fish them anywhere and at whatever distance it is you desire. When these big fish chase, sometimes just a follow-up or a second glance is all that is needed to get my blood pumping. When these big fish chase and take, there is no other feeling like it! It is an action from the fish that is sudden and violent. It feels as if the rod is going to be jerked out of your hand and is often followed by the sound of the drag while line is ripping off of your reel. My favorite fish to sling streamers at is definitely the Brown Trout. Browns to me are among the top athletes in the rivers of WNC, they are quick, agile, and violent. They are the ultimate ambush predator that will eat almost anything! What I love so much about these fish is that one second they will be peeling line off of your reel and the next they're out of the water thrashing around...ANYWAYS...It's the follow up, the violent action of the fish, and the reaction in the rod that will forever make streamer fishing my favorite!



When I tie streamers, all of the rules go out the window! My streamers are often times unique, definitely far from text-book fly patterns! They usually start out with a little bit of this and that and end up with a whole lot of this and that. I tie my streamers with many different materials, many of which that would never be thought of being put together in the same fly. I like to catch fish with a little shoulder on them so why shouldn't I add a little shoulder to my flies! I'm here to tell you that its okay to throw the rules out the window every once in while, you never know what your going to end up with!




No comments:

Post a Comment