The mountains are calling and I must go - John Muir

The mountains are calling and I must go - John Muir

Friday, January 10, 2014

Back in Action

After being home on break for nearly three weeks I finally have made it back into my temporary (maybe future) home of Cullowhee NC. For the past three weeks all I have thought about was making it back into the rivers and feeling the tug that all of us crazed fisherman desire. The plan was to stop at the Davidson on the way back to school and fish for half of the day and then truck it to Cullowhee to fish the Tuck with Jared. However, the rain decided that it wanted to hover over the Brevard area so I decided to drive on past the exit and make it a full day on the Tuck. I pulled my truck into the first pull-off I saw. I didn't care that it wasn't the best hole on the river...I just wanted to FISH. Leader, indicator Line, tippet, dropper, and flies, all went on probably faster than they ever have before. I walked down the river a little ways, hopped in, made a cast into a run and BAM! First cast was a hook-up with a small rainbow and it sure felt good to be back doing one of the things that I love the most. I made my way up stream hitting every run and pocket of water pulling fish out left and right. Not long after I had hit the water I heard Jared let out a little rebel yell, I looked up and noticed that he was hooked up with what appeared to be a really nice fish. While Jared was fighting his beast, I happened to hook into one of my own. I felt the pop, saw the indicator line jump, set the hook, BAM! Fish takes off and the lovely sound of that Lamson drag began to click click click away. Both of us now had nice sized on and were running all over the river trying to keep up with the fish. We just so happened to land the fish around the same time. Jared's fish took the length win while mine took the girth win, I'll take that I guess. I began to make my way up stream while Jared stayed further down. I caught many more fish including a few beautiful brown trout and more rainbows than what I could keep count of. I was walking back down the road when I noticed something funny. I saw Jared, slack line, no fish on, running through the river as fast as he could back and forth... I thought to myself, "what in the world could he possibly be doing." When I got down to where he was at... he told me the story. He was fighting a fish when the line snapped (One of his famous knots of course) and the fish was swimming around with two flies and Jareds strike indicator. While Jared was telling me this story I just so happened to look down and see this little orange strike indicator moving through the water. Here comes Jared running through the water, makes a long reach and somehow he did it! Jared caught his broken off fish by hand. At this point were running a show on the river, even cars had pulled over to watch and see what Jared was doing (Poor Jared). Overall, fishing was excellent and between the two of us we managed to land 100+ fish. Another blessed day of fishing where the good Lord was looking out for us! 






1 comment:

  1. I cant wait to cast a fly to a Mountain Trout again.

    I can't wait to set you up with some big fast mean Salt Water Fish feeding right in front of you

    An eye for an eye
    a tooth for a tooth

    ReplyDelete